Hi all, so this is a blog post on the reasons we might want to write a book and get it published. I’ve talked to some of my students about this and there’s often several reasons. Here’s a few of them.
- To leave something of yourself behind. One day you won’t be here anymore. But your book always will be!
- To be creative. Writing a book is one of the most creative things you can do. To create something out of nothing is wonderful.
- Personal achievement. Lots of people say they want to write a novel or a poetry book. But not everyone ever gets on with it.
- As writers, we are so lucky to be able to ‘get it all out of ourselves.’ Writing is amazing the
- To set the record straight. Maybe something has happened and you want to tell your side of things.
- For fame. Nowadays, in this age of social media, to write a novel, if it’s a good one will ensure a certain amount of fame amongst your readers. Nobody usually chooses to write poetry for money, usually people choose to write a poetry book for the catharsis and freedom of voice.
- And lastly, for fortune of course. Writing a very, very good book can make you rich!
So whether it’s a poetry book or a full length novel you would like to write, I would like to know what your main reason is. Perhaps I’ve missed something on this list. Write your reasons in the comments section below.